Tuesday, September 7, 2010

A change of plans

Well, there has been a change of plans. For those that don't know what the plan was in the first place, I will tell you. Our plan was to begin the process to adopt another daughter from Rwanda beginning mid September. Greg and I both feel very strongly that we still have another daughter out there somewhere. We've been praying a lot but not feeling like God was really telling us anything other than, yes, we do still have another daughter.

So a couple weeks ago I told God what our plan was. I learned very clearly from the experience of adopting Carington that God's plan is so so SO much better than my own. So I told Him that if this was not the right timing, if this was not according to His plan to please close the door quickly. To my utter shock 4 days later the door was slammed shut. Rwanda announced that they are putting a temporary hold on international adoptions!

My first reaction was to burst into tears. My second reaction was to cry harder. My third reaction was to erupt into wailing! And so it continued for a couple days. I cried and cried not just for my "spoiled" plan, but for the children and families who had thousands of dollars, not to mention emotions invested. Now I KNOW that this is ultimately a good thing. Rwanda is doing this to become a part of the Hague convention to prevent things like child trafficking. This is good. "This IS good", I keep telling myself. But my heart still brakes.

I am thankful that even though I didn't like the answer, God cared enough to answer my prayer. I am very thankful that we didn't start the process in early August like we had originally planned. As hard as it has been, it could have been much worse. I pray daily for the families who were so close to completing their paperwork and now are faced with very difficult decisions.

So, the new plan? Only God knows. My heart is so firmly planted in Rwanda that I can't imagine that our next child would come from anywhere else. The faces of the children left behind are a constant in my mind. Logically it just makes sense for Carington and our next child to have the same country and heritage in common. I think it would be so good for both of them. But then again, my ways are not His ways. He knows so much better than I do what is best.

So for now we wait. We wait for God's timing. We wait for Rwanda to reopen... unless God directs us otherwise, that is our plan.

And in the meantime life continues....
Aiden's first day homeschooling with sidekick Noah. He also goes to a local private school one day a week.
These 3 love riding this 4 wheeler
Noah "comforting" Carington during a thunderstorm.

Aiden's 6th birthday

A failed attempt at a decent shot of all 3 kids.

The boys "helping" Carington walk.

He lost his first 2 teeth! Where did the last 6 years go.

A goofy little girl.
And where did my last picture of Noah go? Who knows? I hate computers.









3 comments:

  1. I thought about you guys when we heard the news about the closing. I also am so sad for all the families who were close but not in. I will pray that you find peace in waiting for the Lord to reveal your next steps.

    Also, our walls are the same cheery yellow as yours. :) And your kids are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny this has happened to us more than once now. After my first daughter's adoption we seriously weighed going back to Vietnam for baby #2. Something kept us away and we decided to adopt from Ethiopia. Several weeks later Vietnam shut down. We started the Rwandan process earlier this year but after our homestudy and 1-600A was submitted I started having second thoughts. I asked my husband if we should back out and try a different route and he said nahhh everything will be ok. I still had that feeling. Right as we were about to start really gathering our dossier they announced their intent to go Hague. I knew flying without an agency this was not good news so we backed out. It was truly God answering our prayers because we would have been shut out now too. Now we are adopting through the US foster care system. It is truly where God wanted us on our journey. Each time we thought we were meant to go somewhere but God had other plans and just took us on some detours that lead us to where we were supposed to be. I love the fact that both my girls are from different cultures. God will send you on the right journey. Best wishes and your family is beautiful.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. very nicely worded.... we are going to go domestic here in our state. it is very cost effective (almost free) and we can get an older child (1-3 years). so it will be very much like rwanda just a quicker process.

    funny how god reconstructs our lives so quickly for us :)

    praying for you guys!

    ReplyDelete