Sunday, January 31, 2010

Travel to Nairobi

Today we flew to Nairobi, Kenya. The flight went fairly well, except for a major blow out on Carington’s part. Greg was across the aisle with headphones on and I couldn’t get his attention. I threw a toy at him and scared him. Fortunatlely the plane was mostly empty and Greg and I took her to the back and layed her across some seats there to change her.

Carington has so many funny quirks. She gets really upset when she sees a bottle because she wants it and cries and fusses until it is ready. She does this when she sees another baby with a bottle as well! I noticed on the plane that her fingernails are very flat, almost indented. Then I noticed that it was only 2 fingers. I couldn’t figure it out until she stuck those fingers in her mouth and I realized that those are the fingers she sucks all the time! I opened the backpack on the plane to find batteries for the camera and Carington saw into it where all the toys were. She got very excited like she had just hit the jackpot!

Kenya is totally different from Rwanda. My first thought when we were landing is that this is exactly what all the pictures of Africa look like. The trees are very distinctive. Our hotel is a high rise in the city. All the families are spread out on different floors. I really miss Chez Lando in Rwanda. All the families were close together and our room and patio looked right out into a beautiful courtyard were all the kids played. When Carington was napping I could watch her from the courtyard or our patio. We were spoiled there and I miss it.

Tomarrow we leave at 6:45 AM (5:45 Rwanda time) to go start the kid’s medicals. It is supposed to take all day. Tuesday we work on visas and then Wednesday we get to go on a safari. Hopefully we will have the visas by Wednesday evening. We hope to fly out Thursday night but right now there are no flights available so we may have to stay till Friday night. Up until this point I have enjoyed every moment. I’ve just tried to soak up every aspect of the whole experience. Now that we are no longer in Rwanda (and when inside our hotel room it doesn’t feel like we are in Africa), I’m just feeling homesick. I know I will enjoy getting to see Kenya and I’m very excited about the safari, but its not the same. I felt such a connection to Rwanda since it is my daughter’s birth country. I don’t feel the same excitement about Kenya although I do want to see it while I’m here. I miss Aiden and Noah and I can’t wait for everyone to meet Carington.

No comments:

Post a Comment